Sunday, December 26, 2010

Earth Psalm

             The 23rd Psalm Re-envisioned

The Earth is my mother; within her gardens, I shall walk upright.
She grows within green pastures, she sings in the still waters;
She gives life to my soul. She leads me on right paths
            for no other reason than love.
Truly, though I walk from my infancy to my dying,
            I have nothing to fear;
            ever she is with me:
            from her arms she loosed me,
            and into her arms shall I fall at the last.
The bounty of her table humbles me,
            feeding both friend and foe;
            for all are equal in her sight
            —this teaches me life’s meaning.
She fills my hands with blessing,
            fills my heart with joy.
She moves me to experience
            the heights and depths of being.
When my time comes,
            within her bosom shall I rest
            until she calls my essence to return.

© 2010 by Elisabeth T. Eliassen

No comments:

Post a Comment